Saturday, October 26, 2013

My First Experience

My first experience with Kpop was in September 2010 when my friend introduced me to the Kpop song, Replay by SHINee. I didn’t really have any opinions on the song because I thought it was so weird to listen to songs that I couldn’t understand. It wasn’t until the summer of 2010, when I first discovered a Korean variety show called “Let’s Go Dream Team,” where Kpop idols go against Athletes on obstacles or anything sports related, on TV. Little did I know that from then on, I would start listening to Kpop.
                         
                                                               SHINee  
                From right to left: Onew, Taemin, Jonghyun, Minho, Key
                                         
Image: http://kpopinformer.com/shinee/

The reason I started to get into Kpop was because of Choi Minho, who was an idol/dream team member of “Let’s Go Dream Team.” The first time I saw him on the variety show, he danced to one of his group’s songs called Ring Ding Dong. I was so surprised to see him dance because I didn’t really see him as an Idol star with his long hair and feminine looks. But after watching him more and more on the variety show, I found him to be super handsome and as a result, I decided to research more about him. I found out that he’s a part of a 5 member boy band called SHINee. The moment I watched SHINee’s music videos I was so amazed with their dancing, singing, and unique looks. Replay and Ring Ding Dong were my favorite music videos and because I liked their music and videos so much, I couldn’t go a day without watching them. I was obsessed and my love for SHINee just prompted me to learn everything about them and also explore other Kpop bands.
                                            
                                                              2PM
                             From right to left: Wooyoung, Nichkhun, Taecyeon, Chansung, Jun.K, Junho
                 Image:
http://www.jpopasia.com/news/2pm-officially-announce-upcoming-comeback::12685.html


SHINee started my interest in Kpop but the group called 2PM was what started my curiosity about the Kpop Industry. Because Kpop is Korean music, I always assumed that everyone in a Kpop band is Korean. I was proven wrong when I researched the members of 2PM and to my amazement one of the members named Nichkhun was actually not Korean at all but Thai.  I was really confused because Nichkhun was actually from America and he didn’t know any Korean when he first joined 2PM. I began to look into this and how these idols became part of a group and I realized that Kpop companies like SM, JYP, and YG hold auditions in America, where they find talented individuals to go to Korea and train under their company. This was all so foreign to me. I have never heard of anything like “training to become an idol,” but because this was so different, it got me really interested in the formation of bands, how idols live, and how the Kpop industry works.


             In this blog, I will write about the Kpop industry and how Kpop bands formed. The Kpop industry is really different and complex compared to the American music industry. Many of the idols go through years of intense training to follow their dreams to become a Kpop star, which I respect about each idol. I’m not going to lie but it was the Kpop Idol’s good looks that got me into Kpop but besides all that, it was the idol’s determination to follow their dreams that made me appreciate their music even more.  I may not be Korean but as an Asian American, I am proud the Hallyu wave (Kpop wave) has influenced many cultures and has also spread throughout non- Asian cultures. While reading this blog, I hope you will learn more about the Kpop World.

What was your first Kpop song? If you have never listened to Kpop, what do you want to know about Kpop?

No comments:

Post a Comment